Monday, August 03, 2009

Around the himalayas in 21 days! (DAY1)

Day 1

first day of sports tracker, sorry for lotsa broken routes :grin:

1 2 3 4

I did not sleep for the night. I tried thrice but could not! "I am riding to Leh" kept resonating in my ears! was sitting in the dark room with the window open and smiling at myself!

have packed up all my luggage in the night itself! called up rachit to know he did not sleep too :D told him that I will meet him at fountain at 4:30.

bid good bye to my room mate and took all the backs to the garage to load up on the bike. Black Jacket, gloves, knee caps.. darn those stray dogs gave me a good chase! finally our security to the chase with the dogs and i got relieved! :p

took the bike outside.. clicked the electric start, vroom the engine screamed! saddled up and started at 4:00 from my house!

was amazed to see few people waiting for to see us off! they were there at the hotel before us and that too at 4:20 am in the morning :o I was shocked!

more friends started coming and I felt like a celebrity ;) later winzee arrived with no saddle bags, no tank bag, no jacket and all plastic covers wrapped around his bike! it was a sight to watch!

saddle bags from shiva, tank bag from cos and jacket from motorbreath and man he was ready for leh in 10mins!:D

Later rachit and prasad arrived! Got some chicken sandwiches in the bag for later!



There were around 12-14 guys came to see us off.. this gave us a lot of confidence and a very warm start! thanks guys.

Parked our bikes in a line and rachit suddenly took out a coconut! I thought may be he eats a lot of them :D
He nattered a prayer to the almighty and bang, the coconut was into pieces!

We bid our friends good bye and we were on the roads.. I had some pride on this trip which kept me smiling for the first 15 mins of the ride :D and that was an awesome feeling which i never experienced!

we did some 80kms and I stopped since my stomach was busy playing drums! :P took out the sandwich and we all had a bite of it. Some magical ingredient was there I guess which never kept me hungry till 11:00 am.

too much traffic jam once we entered Gujarat. It took us 2 hours to cover 10kms with a little off roading here and there! The traffic was still which made very tough even to move the bike! totally exhausted due to the heat. people were asking us a lot of questions, a lot! there was this gentleman who helped us get through the traffic and he even offered us to come sit in his house for a few minutes. good people are still there I thought! there were some crazy guys who were revving hard and trying to race with us in that still traffic :P

got out of the traffic atlast and found a road side shop where we drank around six bottles of water. I myself drank around two of them :D




we were riding through big big trucks again trying to negotiate a way out. finally in a distant sight the four lane was visible. I felt like i was in some kinda guy who was in a war and heading back home! :p

Stopped for a small sugar cane juice break




all saddled up we were riding with full charge now. we zoomed across vadodra and skipped the expressway since we were not allowed.


we stopped for lunch in a road side dhaba. they served us chicken and i was amazed, chicken in gujarat? we are lucky today! we were sitting outside and we were asked to move in since there were some veggies sitting outside. had lotsa chicken curry and egg bhurji. prasad had a small nap and we were making fun of the printed rupee notes which were hanging in the shop. the bikes were literally like frying pans due to the heat! poured in some water on the seats so that our butts does not get fried on the very first day of our journey.

we reached ahmadabad at around 4:00 pm. it was a total mess when we entered the city! we stopped near a town near the highway and started searching for a decent room to stay, but in vain. we were told to go a little ahead and we could find some good hotels.

finally found "Hotel Peace" and we bargained the price saying we are touring across India and we are out of money! :D :D Got an ac room for 850 bucks with extra beds and stuff.



ordered food, begged the room service guy for dharu since i forgot the monk at my home. no dharu, not a surprise since we were in ahmadabad :) but amazing food. we watched tv till 1:00 am and dozed off!

No comments: